On the 13th August 2015 Part Three of the #FitForPurpose series aired as part of the Awakening Show hosted by Daina Anderson on New Style Radio 98.7 FM. Throughout this year The Profit For Purpose Radio Mastermind will be examining what it means to be Fit For Purpose. In the third show we looked the importance of nurturing your gifts and talents in order to maximise your potential. I was joined on the show by Claudette Dawson who shared both her professional expertise as an experienced trainer and her personal insights based on biblical truth.
If you missed the show or would like to listen to it again click here.
In this post, I am going to cover the 3 tips we discussed on the show for developing your gifts.
1) Do not neglect your gifts
1 Timothy 4:14-15 says ‘Do not neglect the gift which is in you, [that special inward endowment] which was directly imparted to you [by the Holy Spirit] by prophetic utterance when the elders laid their hands upon you [at your ordination]. Practice and cultivate and meditate upon these duties; throw yourself wholly into them [as your ministry], so that your progress may be evident to everybody.’ (AMP)
God has blessed each one of us with gifts and talents, as a faithful stewards it is essential we do not let our gifts go to waste by failing to use them. There are many things that can cause us to neglect our gifts including:
- Lack of discipline / laziness
- Making excuses
It’s important we come against these obstacles and cooperate with God in keeping our gifts alive so we can use them for his glory.
2) Be diligent in exercising and developing your gifts
2 Timothy 1:6 says ‘That is why I would remind you to stir up (rekindle the embers of, fan the flame of, and keep burning) the [gracious] gift of God, [the inner fire] that is in you by means of the laying on of my hands [[a]with those of the elders at your ordination].’
Developing your gifts requires commitment and dedication, there are 3 key ways that you can develop your gifts:
- Practice- Take time to apply your gift and exercise it, like a muscle you strengthen your gifts through use.
- Cultivate your gift- like a plant you need to water your gifts, prune your potential by getting rid of activities that are no longer fruitful and maintain your talents so that your abilities grow.
- Meditate on your assignment- Think deeply about your assignment and how God has guided you to use your gifts. Mediate on your duties and focus your mind on your goal. Often successful athletes rehearse winning a race in their minds before they compete, you too have to meditate on successfully completing your assignment.
3) Remember that your gifts will make room for you
Finally, often it’s hard to see the end when you are in the midst of your preparation, however its important to remember when you are serious about developing and exercising your gifts, other people will see and acknowledge your progress. Proverbs 18:16 states ‘A man’s gift makes room for him and brings him before great men.’
You are in training like an athlete you need to exercise your gifts like a muscle through constant use, you will develop strength and stamina. Only through perseverance will you be able to successfully win the race and obtain the prize. Keep going, don’t give up!
Until next time, stay blessed.